Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can laminate kitchen doors be transformed to shaker style?

Jennifeffy
Just Starting Out

Can laminate kitchen doors be transformed to shaker style?

We have pain white laminate doors in our kitchen that I would like to transform into shaker style. Any ideas?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: can laminate kitchen doors be transformed to shaker style

@Jennifeffy check with Bunnings special orders desk, I Kaboodle make shaker doors, not sure if the make them to custom sizes. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jennifeffy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about transforming your kitchen doors into shaker-style doors.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JoeAzza. The kitchen doors can be ordered at the special orders desk if your looking for a quick transformation. However, if you wish to do it in D.I.Y. fashion, I suggest looking at this featured project - Shaker-style kitchen reno with paint and plywood by @LizzieCro

The original door set was given a change in profile by using 3mm plywood strips. To give the impression that there were more drawers the profiles were given a slight trim on their surface. My best advice is to plan each door and determine how many strips you'll be needing to change your kitchen door's appearance. It's also important to consider where you'll be doing all your work as the doors will need to be left undisturbed while the glue and paint dry off.

This particular project will involve carpentry work, sanding and painting, please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your kitchen doors.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

Sadly, no, they don’t make them to custom sizes, but if all your doors, drawer fronts and end panels are custom sizes you may be able to order them. When I did my Shaker style laundry, I had off the shelf cabinets, doors and drawers on one side of the laundry, but built my own for the opposite side. They were relatively easy to build from scratch and you really can’t tell they’re different. Having a table saw, though, is what allows precision when cutting the ply strips for the Shaker trim.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects