Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any space-making hacks for small kitchens?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Any space-making hacks for small kitchens?

Maximising space in small kitchens and making them more functional can be a fun D.I.Y. project. Many Bunnings Workshop members have shared creative solutions, including this Slimline pull-out spice rack by @DIYology

I'm keen on discovering your favourite ideas and space-making hacks that can help keep small indoor and outdoor kitchens tidy and functional. Tagging @Renowayoflife@Matiu@HarrietArthur and @nicoleherrick to kickstart some ideas. 

Akanksha 

Small kitchen.jpeg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any space-making hacks for small kitchens?

Good topic @Akanksha.

My fave is changing cupboards to drawers, like @pete_brig in this popular project

Also keen to hear ideas from @redbournreno@2Belindas and @prettyliving.

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Akanksha 

As I have my kitchen that needs to be replaced (its actually a particle board cupboard and even the benchtop is particleboard) Just commenting so I can see peoples ideas :smile:

I have installed a Kaboodle kitchen before and it came up really nice but space saving wise it didnt have that in it. Oh and green walls were in fashion lol

One thing I have learnt is that fashion changes, go with something timeless and neautral. Dress up with things that can be changed easily.

Dave

Matiu
Getting Established

Hi Akanksha.  Really simple idea but probably under-utilised is just adding extra shelving and setting the height of the shelves to accommodate specific heights of pantry items.  This takes advantage of the fresh air that usually fills cupboards.

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Matiu 

Thank you very much for sharing that idea. I totally agree, sometimes you've got to be aware of the height your product occupies. If it looks like they are all uniform an extra shelf is exactly what you need to maximize the use of space. 

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Howdy @Akanksha , and all

Now to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons here is an idea I am tempted to try.

For the ultimate kitchen that you can re-jig as needed I have thought of using these

Utimate storage tool trolley 

or

Matt black tool trolley 

There are a bunch of different sizes. The wheels can be locked into position. The drawers can carry weight as they would for tools.

If you could configure the trolleys in a galley style kitchen it would work well.

The cost is probarrly cheaper then Kaboodle and much more able to be moved about if/when you change your kitchen around.

The benchtops could either stay the same or mount 

2400*600mm hardwood panel 

across the top. 

It may be a little blokey but I thiink more "Industrial" Style 

My only issue is the more people decide yes the more the trolleys will bump in price lol 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects