Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

80s kitchen reno on a budget

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

80s kitchen reno on a budget

Recently I've been completing some renos on an 80's home getting it ready for sale. I've given the kitchen and bathroom a makeover, installed a new trough and splashback in laundry, installed new blockout roller blinds throughout, installed a new toilet cistern and seat, and have received help from family to do the less skilled/technical jobs (I mea that in a nice, practical sense) such as painting, gardening, changing door handles, etc.

With $10k to do cover the cost of everything necessary at the house, knew I had to be smart with the money and couldn't have done it if we had to hire trades. I only paid for the installation of the blinds and installation of the hard wired smoke alarm.

The kitchen

Removed the benchtop, sink, tiled splashback and rollerblind + pelmet.

before1.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke2.jpg

• Installed new benchtops using Bunnings project panels.
  • Removed cabinetry doors/drawers and painted with White Knight Laminate Paint - a big money saver.
  • Installed subway tile splashback to modernise and increase the height up the wall.
  • Updated the powerpoints. Wanted a slimmer version but Bunnings didn't have a cheap slim option with fan switch included.
  • Installed new double sink and tapware.
  • Had blockout roller blind installed.
  • Walls got a fresh lick of paint - Dulux Lexicon Quarter which was used throughout house.

Kitchen new1.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke.jpg Photo from PeteWernicke1.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the improvement to the kitchen. I would've liked to have installed laminate flooring and upgraded the stove/oven but the good ol' budget decided otherwise.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 80s kitchen reno on a budget

Fantastic work @ProjectPete. Many thanks for sharing. Great to see what can be achieved on a relatively modest budget. I'm sure that @2Belindas would agree that your investment will pay dividends given how important a modern kitchen is to most buyers. 

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

What an amazing job, truly looks magnificent.

Thanks for joining in the discussion @begbiebella. I'm sure @ProjectPete appreciates the complement!

We look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We have lots of helpful members like Pete sharing inspiration, experience and knowledge. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

That looks fantastic @ProjectPete. My husband and I had just been discussing using the Bunnings project panels when we renovate our kitchen. Were they easy to use? Also, the laminate paint, does it give a good finish? A finish you could live with if you used it in your own home?

Thanks veyr much @begbiebella - had a lot of fun doing it!

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks @Ang_flange! The project panels are very easy-to-use/work with. You just nee dot be mindful of their wear and tear over time being timber. Whilst they can dent/scratch, you have the benefit of being able to sand it back and stain/varnish it again to give it a fresh look :smile:

The laminate paint comes up a treat. Bit of a process with prep, drying times, etc but worth it and can certainly save some $$$. Get a quote to replace the cabintery and weigh it up.

----------
Handy and helpful

Thanks again for sharing this @ProjectPete. It’s generating a lot of interest today on Instagram.

Jason

Thank YOU for the sharing opportunity @Jason! Maybe one day I'll have more Insta follwers than #wifey haha

----------
Handy and helpful
marthasimons
Finding My Feet

A good job:cool:

Relax

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects