Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Yard reno

pete_brig
Making a Splash

Yard reno

Was checking out @Jason's blog post of top 10 garden makeovers & was motivated to add our story. BTW, I think some of Jason's picks (e.g. @maknilsin) were renos (major rework) rather than makeovers (cosmetic/low rework) but that's just my opinion; regardless, they were inspiring & a great read. Hope this inspires others like @mydreams--of course the scale can be varied to suit the space. We (my wife & I) have talked about making some planter boxes (I made some for my 80+ Mum last year to make her garden easier to manage) so I know if she sees the ones with the deck cladding, I'll be getting some directions promptly :smile: altho she is becoming adept at using various power tools (drop saw, table saw), hammer, cordless drill etc & successfully built a book case using laminated boards & threaded rod but that's another post...

Like a lot of ppl, we have a basic/bland yard. 600m2 block with road frontage on 3 sides (front & LHS facing house are entry/part of cul-de-sac; RHS road is access to estate). As you will see in the photos, we had done some tinkering--painted inside of treated pine fence, small deck & garden beds--while I was procrastinating. We started the reno in April when my wife pushed me to just jump in. Here's where we started...with our plan & the existing yard: right side is approx 14m, back fence is approx 25m

The planThe plan29595559_10157649559193128_305026646730965983_n.jpg

29597310_10157649559133128_393616703559137639_n.jpg 29595401_10157649559178128_5866558482774012164_n.jpg

Then came the earthworks to get the levels for the boardwalk & decks--approx $800 for 1 day of a guy with mini-excavator & bobcat. And, yes, that's red clay you can see. Dry most of the time we were working (April-Aug in BrisVegas) but added 2cm to the boots when walked on when wet :unhappy:

Side of houseSide of houseAlong back of house between back fenceAlong back of house between back fence

Looking from back fence along LHS to clotheslineLooking from back fence along LHS to clotheslineFrom clothesline to back fenceFrom clothesline to back fence

Concrete pad for garden shed was outsourced--approx $1100. Conscripted (adult) children to spread mulch, erect garden shed, help build boardwalk...don't have a complete figure but $350 for 5m3 cypress mulch, $700+ for boardwalk timber (150x25mm plank tops, 800mm wide), $1100+ for semi-advanced plants

2 x Waterhousea floribunda (10m hybrid), Backhousia citriodora, birds of paradise,2 x Waterhousea floribunda (10m hybrid), Backhousia citriodora, birds of paradise,native & exotic gingers , small palms, Philodendron "Xanadu"native & exotic gingers , small palms, Philodendron "Xanadu"Palms, agave, variegated cordylinesPalms, agave, variegated cordylinesboardwalk to clothesline & garden shedboardwalk to clothesline & garden shed

Back deck construction... 4.5mx2.1m (WxD) approx $700 for materials

36566661_10157906443108128_8985529547004837888_o.jpg36623691_10157906444448128_3620810752270532608_o.jpgGarden in corner between 2 decks: palms, waterhouseas, red cordylines, elephant ears, giant bird of paradise, frangapaniGarden in corner between 2 decks: palms, waterhouseas, red cordylines, elephant ears, giant bird of paradise, frangapani

Firepit with pizza & drinks to enjoy our work:

Firepit on the back deck for pizza & drinksFirepit on the back deck for pizza & drinks

Then about a month later came the side deck--I was finding the construction techniques a bit overwhelming (400mm fall between house & fence) so more procrastination :unhappy: but we got there & here's the story in pics

Starting out on the side deckStarting out on the side deckDone!Done!The al fresco area that's abutted to the back and side decksThe al fresco area that's abutted to the back and side deckslooking from al fresco to the side deck with gazebolooking from al fresco to the side deck with gazeboLooking alng the RHS of the house from the front fence to the side deckLooking alng the RHS of the house from the front fence to the side deck

Approx $1500 for timber, hardware, & nail gun hire.

A little  more planting still to do around the water tank... but we've more than doubled the al fresco space so it's gone from being a holding space for BBQ & table to relaxationville! Side deck yet to be tested but we'll be having the in-laws over for dinner in a couple of weeks. Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Yard reno

Brilliant result @pete_brig, many thanks for sharing. I'm sure your work will inspire other Workshop community members.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of helpful and experienced members who are always happy to assist. 

Looking forward to your next post.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@pete_brig What an amazing transformation! Surely a much better entertainment area, much more welcoming. The problem with pictures like yours and this site, is that it makes me want to get outside and do some work. I rent though, surely the owner won't mind some timber work here and there! Perhaps a little cabana?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

maknilsin
Making a Splash

@pete_brig - looks amazing! Fantastic work by the way, I still have fever dreams about clearing my backyard and doing the deck and your space is fair bit bigger than mine so god only knows how you managed that. 

Nice work looks great :smile:
ambily
Growing in Experience

Excellent Reno...In my dream..

What a transformation! Might be helpful when I'm planing mine.

@maknilsin and @Prawns  belated thank u for yr comment

If u haven't started yr backyard reno, just jump on in--after careful consideration 😀

Seriously, it's not as difficult as it seems. Just need to work out th levels & footings--I "cheated"/simplified it by putting H4 timber straight onto th ground. I figured that would outlast our time here. I left space underneath for ventilation & drainage but made a few other mistakes but not the end of th world. Happy to chat if u want more details. Cheers, Peter

Here's an update with some photos. Looking along back fence:

IMG_20191209_113758.jpg

Looking along side past th tank to back fence

IMG_20191209_162057.jpg

Looking thru th side deck

IMG_20191209_162000.jpg

Still looking fantastic mate!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects