Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is our Lilly Pilly Waterhousea Floribunda turning reddish brown?

Stephanie3
Just Starting Out

Why is our Lilly Pilly Waterhousea Floribunda turning reddish brown?

Hello! First timer using this and first time tree caretaker. We planted our weeping lilly pilly in may this year. Our soil is clay, but we planted with a fresh soil mixed in. We also added mulch and fertilizer to the top. Over the last month the new growth has been changing colour to a reddish brown. Any suggestions?? 

16983782958342122927158285264709.jpg

16983783166573903027550301315893.jpg

16983783327063290414391378066053.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is our Lilly Pilly Waterhousea Floribunda turning reddish brown?

Hello @Stephanie3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Lilly Pilly tree.

From its wilting appearance it could be due to either too much or not enough water. There is also the possibility of the soil being waterlogged. In regards to the red leaves I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Weeping Lilly Pilly is shedding leaves by @Kate_C_.

I suggest checking if the soil is waterlogged. Dig around 2cm down near the base of the tree and see if is very wet. If it is very wet and muddy, odds are the roots are smothered in water and the plant is being affected by it. If you have mulch around the base of the tree, I suggest pulling it away to allow the excess water to evaporate.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How do I fix the browning leaves on my Waterhousia Lilly Pilly? by @Tinks.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects