Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add garden drainage?

river
Just Starting Out

How to add garden drainage?

Hello, we live on a hill and a lot of water can drain into our garden from above and drown plants. In places it is heavy clay so water can become trapped. We have been installing socked pipes down and across the garden plus around trees but the problem is now we have holes that fill with water that need to be scooped out. I've thought of using a bucket but I've no idea how to direct the water into the bucket plus a valve would be needed so maybe this isn't possible. I've been scooping the water out to use elsewhere on the garden but I'd like to cover up the hole. Accessories for the socked pipes include corners, joins and ends but no valves. It wouldn't be possible to use a gravel pit as there is too much water that needs to go somewhere. 

Thanks for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add garden drainage?

Hello @river 

Thanks for sharing your question about garden drainage. 

It sounds like the socked pipes are not enough to drain away the excess water coming into your garden. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your garden? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Here is a link to a step-by-step guide: How to install garden drainage by @Adam_W

Here are some excellent discussions regarding drainage:

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects