Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my crabapple tree not growing?

NateZheng
Getting Established

Why is my crabapple tree not growing?

Hi there,

I planted a crabapple tree from a sapling a few months ago, but it doesn't seem to be growing and might be dormant. 
Is it dead? or what should I do about it?

IMG_7736.JPGIMG_7737.JPGIMG_7738.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: crabapple tree is not growing

Hello @NateZheng 

Thanks for sharing your question about your crabapple tree. Sparse or stunted growth in Crabapple trees can result from various factors. Inadequate sunlight, poor soil quality, or overcrowding can all contribute. Can you tell us a little about your crabapple tree. Have you been fertilizing the soil? How often do you water it? Did you prepare the soil around it before you transplanted the tree?

Any extra information you can share about your tree would be very much appreciated. It will help us form a better diagnosis as to why it's not growing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NateZheng
Getting Established

Yes, I prepared the garden soil from Bunnings. I watered it normally for 2-3 days and fertilized it before this summer.

I also planted a mulberry and a grapefruit at the same time, and they're both doing well, except for the crabapple.

Thanks for the extra information @NateZheng.

You might find this article by experienced member @Noelle helpful - How to diagnose a sick plant. I have also tagged Noelle to see if she can kindly share some thoughts about your tree.

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @NateZheng 

Your crab apple looks healthy enough. The leaves are a good deep green and they are not wilting or shrunken in size.

However, the little square of bricks around the base and the woodchip mulch may be restricting the amount of water actually getting to the roots, while the pavers will be absorbing considerable heat from the sun which will, in turn, be heating the soil. In my opinion, the roots are being restricted by lack of moisture and excessive heat, which in turn is restricting the top growth.

You should also keep in mind that both the mulberry and grapefruit are more vigorous than crab apples normally, so comparisons are not always giving the real picture.

I would remove the woodchip mulch to start with (this can have an affect on the amount of nitrogen available to the roots) and also look at taking the pavers/bricks away too, to give the roots a better chance.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Why is my crabapple tree not growing?

Good morning @NateZheng  I   personally would remove the chunks of wood chips, looks too much and water may not be able to penetrate down into the rootball. I agree with @Noelle regarding how it affects the nitrogen and also the bricks. Good luck 🌿😊

NateZheng
Getting Established

Thanks for the reply!

I'm planning to clear out the woodchip mulch and pavers so I can check how well everything's growing underneath.

I put down bark to prevent the turkey from digging while we're away for the holidays. :smile:

Fair enough, now I need to see your pet Turkey xoxo 🥰😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NateZheng 

Thanks for posting that extra information. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noelle and @mich1972. I recommend following their suggestions and observing the crabapples progress for the next few months. If time permits, we would love to see a photo of your pet turkey.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects