Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my Lilly Pilly tree declining in health?

murrayjohn
Growing in Experience

Why is my Lilly Pilly tree declining in health?

Hi Garden discussion

I am trying to figure out why my lilly pillys are not looking well  i live  geelong victoria they were planted 5 years ago always been looked after trimmed, and sea soled sprayed twice a year nice and health

Now in the last 6 months the have declined rapidly i have read all you articles on care and pests etc some one suggested the look like a lack of water but get watered when dry maybe to much every thing is growing around the area

have inspected the leaves closely and found no pests the branches at the top are britle snap easily have always trimmed to a manageable height  6-7 ft

should i give them a really good cut back a dose of eco oil as some suggestion have been written

i don`t want to lose them as i love my gardening  i will up load some images

thanking you

murray will answer any questions thru here

as for all to see and post up dates for the communityIMG_3338.JPGIMG_3334.JPGIMG_3336.JPGIMG_3332.JPGIMG_3337.JPGIMG_3350.JPGdid find a lady bug but don`t know what this one  is and a lot of very small black ones fast movingdid find a lady bug but don`t know what this one is and a lot of very small black ones fast moving  

murrayjohn
Growing in Experience

Re: lilly pilly tree health

forgot oneforgot one

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @murrayjohn. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly Pilly care.

I'm going to call in some expert assistance on this one to see what @Noelle's opinion is, as I'm struggling to put my finger on the issue. Typically, Lilly Pilly's are plagued with a number of infestations, but as you mentioned, there are no obvious issues. The lengthway curling leaves and black bugs are likely playing a role, but I'm not sure what they are. There is plenty of info on curling leaves, but that is normally back on themselves, not lengthways. Do all or most of the fallen leaves exhibit this curling and contain the bugs?

When was the plant last pruned?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @murrayjohn 

Your lillypillies have no new growth on them at all, which suggests a couple of things:

1.  They have been pruned too hard and too often, with any new growth that might have appeared having been cut off (this would also perhaps explain why the tops are brittle - old wood)

2.  They have not been given adequate water, which could explain the lengthwise leaf curl. Watering when dry is not usually enough as lillypillies are subtropical and tropical trees preferring well watered but free draining soils. They don't tolerate dryness well.

The overall appearance of your hedge is not good, and regular seaweed tonic applications are not going to help much when there's minimal growth. Allow the trees to produce new growth, if they can, and trim the hedge just a couple of times a year without removing all lush new shoots and leaves.

murrayjohn
Growing in Experience

Hi @Noelle

sounds great advice they were trimmed about 6 months ago and yes new growth was taken  off  i will start watering well do i need to  give them a fertilizer to give them a boost

When was the last time you applied a fertiliser @murrayjohn? It would likely be best to stick with the Seasol during this recovery period instead of fertilising.

Mitchell

Hi Michell

i seasoled them with your seaweed solution by hose fitting about 6 months ago

i will mix it this time in watering can and and water bottom of them mybe it will get down to the root system better have put a soaker hose on and watering well  

murrayjohn
Growing in Experience

Hi Noelle and  Michalmc

I have taken all your advice with watering and fertilizing and the hedge is starting to come back new growth at bottom and top and starting to get some inside my question  is do i trim the new growth on top so middle grows and i still have a far bit of old wood near top do i give that a good trim out have inclosed some pics of this have been seasol watering and applied ozmocoat all round to root systemIMG_3415.JPGIMG_3418.JPGIMG_3416.JPGIMG_3412.JPG  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Why is my Lilly Pilly tree declining in health?

Great to see that new growth on your plants @murrayjohn. I'm sure our experts @MitchellMc and @Noelle will be able to continue providing advice and answer your questions regarding trimming. 

I wanted to also quickly recommend reading Noelle's excellent guide How to diagnose and revive a sick lilly pilly in case you haven't already. Contains some excellent tips that you might find useful as you continue caring for the plant.

Akanksha

Hi @murrayjohn 

Your hedge is certainly looking much improved 🙂  Those bushy bits sticking out the top should be trimmed back to encourage more growth lower down - they also look scrappy which isn't the look you are aiming for.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects