Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do in the garden in February

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

What to do in the garden in February

There is lots of great advice in this article - What to do in the garden in February.

I find the section on what to plant particularly helpful:

"February is a good month to start planting your winter vegies like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, Brussels sprouts, parsnips and parsley.

"Tropical areas are ready for planting leeks, chilies, cabbage, silverbeet, lettuce, sweet corn, tomatoes, mangoes, bananas and pineapple. You can brighten up your garden, and attract helpful insects, by planting marigolds and sunflowers.

"In sub-tropical areas, you can plant beans, capsicum, carrots, chilies, cucumbers, lettuce and zucchinis in your vegie patch. Sunflowers are also good to add a splash of colour.

"In temperate climates, it’s also time for winter vegies like beans, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, leeks, lettuce and parsley. Companion plants like nasturtiums, verbena, petunias and marigolds add colour and attract insects, keeping them away from your vegies.

"In colder regions, it’s mostly about vegies. Start planting, beetroot, broccoli, Asian greens, carrots, cauliflower, leeks, lettuce, onions, silverbeet and parsley. For that burst of colour, look for stocks, violas, pansy, dianthus, verbena and ageratum."

What are you planting in your garden this month?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Kermit
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do in the garden in February

Weeds growing like crazy at our place at the moment. So the first priority is to get rid of them before planting anything new.

Kellie
Super Contributor

I only have pots but what I'll be doing most in Feb is watering. They can dry out really quickly in the heat. I won't be planting anything new until it gets cooler. 

tetris36
Budding Contributor

Adding compost to feed the existing zucchinis & tomatoes but also bulking up the soil for autumn planting. Desperately trying to lower my garden's pH levels & compost is supposed to help.
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Be good to see your tomatoes @tetris36. I posted a photo of ours on this discussion. We've also got more cucumbers than we can eat in the Vegepod. 

Jason

tetris36
Budding Contributor

Morning Jason. I saw your picture last week & it puts my shabby tomato plant to shame. Melbourne had 44mm of rain dumped on it last night so the tomatoes have probably drowned. In fact it hasn't been the best summer for tomatoes - been a bit cooler than expected.

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Proof's in the eating @tetris36! Hopefully the rain will do wonders for all of the garden.

Jason

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects