Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why has my lamium beacon silver died?

lindadon
Just Starting Out

Why has my lamium beacon silver died?

I planted six Lamium beacon silver last October (purchased from Bunnings) and one is dead…what would have caused this. As you can see one dead another okay…HELPIMG_0301.jpegIMG_0302.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lamium beacon silver

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lindadon. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lamium beacon silver care.

It is very hard to give an exact reason for your plant's demise from an image. My first thoughts are that the soil looks incredibly wet, and if this bed is part of a retaining wall, I suspect it is filling up with water due to a lack of drainage. The overly wet conditions have caused the plant to die off. However, if you just had a rain event, it could be the opposite: the plant was underwatered and only appears like this now.

Does this soil stay wet for long periods of time after rain, and/or does the soil start to dry out before receiving water again?

Here's a helpful guide: How to diagnose a sick plant.

Looking closer, your healthy plant has visitors who appear to be chewing the leaves. These are likely small green caterpillars. Was the more sickly plant attacked more voraciously by them prior to its demise?

Let me mention @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects