Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why has my Pencil Pine stopped growing?

PloverPalace
Just Starting Out

Why has my Pencil Pine stopped growing?

CEBDA704-A788-41F2-86A1-9E4FFF49FF3D.jpeg

48636203-15E8-4F64-A4E5-44E6E4FACC40.jpeg

Hi I bought 2 pencil pines and one seems like it quit growing. It has some browning at the bottom and isn’t as full either. Is there something I can do to encourage growth or does it need replacement? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why has my Pencil Pine stopped growing?

Hi @PloverPalace,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration from our wonderful members.

From your photos it seems as if your trees are still healthy. Perhaps you could share another photo that better shows the browning you mention. 

In the meantime, these previous discussions might be helpful for you:

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why has my Pencil Pine stopped growing?

Hello @PloverPalace

Some of the general causes for your pencil pine to stop growing are poor watering conditions, not enough sunlight during the day, soil nutrient imbalance and fungal or bacterial disease infection. If you've had a chance to read the links my colleague provided you'll see that the number one culprit is often bacterial disease. Unfortunately, these are often fatal for the tree, you can try to support the tree by adding nutrients and balancing the ph in the soil. But any part of the tree that has been afflicted will no longer sprout new leaves.

If the browning of the leaves continues to travel up the tree then it will confirm that the tree has been infected. It's often recommended to remove the tree and destroy it. Do not recycle it for mulch or the bacterial infection will spread to the rest of your garden.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects