Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a wind barrier for my plants?

AprilRain
Finding My Feet

How to create a wind barrier for my plants?

Can someone advice what I should do about protecting my plants/trees from strong wind. I've just recently bought a persimmon tree (1.5m tall) and not sure if I want to block my entire area with a patio ( 7 x 4 m) or try to just cover the tree with a shade cloth. 

The area my Persimmon tree will be planted in a narrow garden bed between a wall and a concrete footpath.

Any advice is helpful and if you know any handyman who can put some post up and nail the shade-cloth as patio can be a bit expensive.

Does anyone know if there's a place in Perth who sells/install fence screen or DIY kit that's easily done.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to create a wind barrier for my plants?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AprilRain, we would be happy to help.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your garden so members can see what you are working with? It would really help us give you more specific and helpful advice. 

We are looking forward to helping to solve this issue with you and reading about all your other plans for around the house and garden.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AprilRain

A quick and affordable method of creating a windbreak is by using Whites 165cm Premium Black Ultrapost in combination with Shade Coth and fixed in place with Cable Ties. Drive the steel post in an "L" or straight pattern depending on where the wind is coming from. Place the shade cloth in front of the posts and cable tie the edges to the post. Make sure that the shade cloth is pulled firmly to prevent sagging.

You'll need a sledgehammer to drive the posts into the ground but aside from this, no other tools are necessary to fix the posts into place. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how to put it together.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Jason

I've got some photos. Not sure what you can see from this but I was thinking to put some sheeting on top and fenced off the high wind area (near satellite dish).

this bit needs to be fenced-high wind areathis bit needs to be fenced-high wind area I want wind barrier/sheeting on topI want wind barrier/sheeting on topbigger image.bigger image.

Thanks Eric.

I've bought some posts (Wooden) and cement and planning this above recommendations temporarily. But ultimately I'd like the whole area to be fenced off like a pergola. (I've uploaded some images to Jason)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AprilRain

Thank you very much for posting those images of your garden area. Building a pergola with trellises or fixed panels to disrupt the wind is possible. However, there are some things that need to be checked before you begin. Is there a body corporate where you live or is this a stand-alone property? I also suggest checking with the local council on the rules and regulations of building a structure right next to your fence which is right beside your neighbour's property.

Have you thought about what this pergola will look like? It might be necessary to put in posts near that little garden strip you have. Were you thinking of putting in something like the Mimosa 3.24 x 5.31m Brighton Louver Panel Gazebo? If you have a particular image in your mind of what it's suppose to look like, I propose grabbing some paper and doing a quick sketch. Once you've done the sketch, I suggest sharing it with the community. 

In the meantime, if you're thinking of blocking that gap near your satellite dish, you can use either a timber trellis or a decorative panel to disrupt the wind blowing in that area.

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne and @Remarka6le for their recommendations

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects