Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are Basil leaves yellow and brown?

VincentCCS
Getting Established

Why are Basil leaves yellow and brown?

Hi Everyone,

I purchased two small basils from the Bunnings two weeks ago. However, I noticed that their leaves began to turn a bit yellow and small brown spots started to appear on a couple of leaves. I have checked the soil and it is moist. Does anyone know what these symptoms indicate?

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 13.33.20 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 13.33.20 (2).jpeg

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some hints.

Kind regards,

Vincent

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Why are Basil leaves yellow and brown?

Good afternoon @VincentCCS Your Basil looks like it needs a liquid feed probably. Especially if they are growing in pots. Looks pretty healthy though. I’ll tag @Noelle  into the post and see what she thinks 🪴😃

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @VincentCCS 

Thanks for sharing your question about your basil.

How often do you water the basil? Did you water it until the soil was soaked or did you just lightly water the surface? Do you have it in a spot where it is in direct sunlight? Is it very hot where it is currently located? 

Sometimes you have to put the basil in the shade specially if the plant is getting too much sun and heat. Too much of a good thing can sometimes damage the plant.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VincentCCS
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks for your suggestions. I usually water them when I feel the soil is dry by testing them with my finger poking into the soil. Generally speaking, I water them one to two times a week. I soak them and then let them drain when I water them. I put them beside the window on my balcony. So they receive direct sunlight from around 1 pm to 8 pm. According to your suggestions, I guess they are exposed to too much sunlight and I could give them a bit more shade and see if their leave issue will improve.

Vincent

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VincentCCS 

Thanks for that extra information, yes, I suggest bringing it into the shade for a bit if you feel that it has been getting too much sun and heat.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @VincentCCS 

Direct sun through a window isn't good - the glass can intensify the sun's rays and cause burning of the leaves - I suspect that is what the brown spots are.

Basil loves good, indirect light so move them out of direct sun through the glass but leave them near a window so the light is still quite bright but not likely to burn the leaves.

A liquid fertiliser applied once every two weeks will keep plants happy and healthy.

VincentCCS
Getting Established

Hi @Noelle 

Thanks for your suggestions. May I ask which liquid fertilizer you would recommend for basils? 

Regards,

Vincent

@VincentCCS 

My suggestion would be Osmocote Pour+Feed for Tomato & Herb - it is ready to use, just pour it on according to directions on the label.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects