Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sleeper peg to use for raised garden beds?

Abhijeet_rookie
Finding My Feet

What sleeper peg to use for raised garden beds?

Hi team,

I am a newbie in the world of DIY. I am currently planning on doing the backyard. The aim is to have garden beds running parallel to the fence, a quarter of circle area for sit out and remaining natural grass.

For the garden beds, I have a couple of questions. Would be great if any expert or experienced hand could answer -

1. For holding the garden bed / sleepers, which one of the two (linked below) are better option -

a. https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-450mm-heavy-duty-steel-sleeper-peg-flat-stake_p1100606 (for connecting two sleepers)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-450mm-heavy-duty-steel-corner-stake-sleeper-peg_p1100604 ( for corner connections)

b. https://www.bunnings.com.au/400mm-sleeper-peg-galvanised-steel-t-joiner_p1100405

2. As we are planning the garden beds parallel to the fence ( 800mm apart), do I need to do a small retaining wall/ plank? If yes, do i screw the plank between the fence post? Are there any other alternatives, apart from plank? Something like Recycled garden edging?

Any help would be highly appreciated

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sleeper Peg - which one to use?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Abhijeet_rookie. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a garden bed.

How high will these garden beds be? If they are only one sleeper high, then the Jack 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Sleeper Peg Flat Stake and Jack 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Corner Stake Sleeper Peg will be fine. If it is any higher than one sleeper, I recommend you move to the Jack posts.

Here are a few helpful step-by-step guides: How to build a simple raised garden bed, How to build a raised garden bed for privacy and How to build a raised garden bed.

Would you be able to draw a diagram illustrating your questions about the small retaining wall/plank you are enquiring about? let me know if you need a hand uploading the image.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for answering my questions. Regarding the retaining wall / planks, I have uploaded a photo. The area marked in the red  (on the fence between two fence post) is where I am thinking of adding another plank of wood to save the fence from soil. Not sure if it is needed or not.

Area on fence marked in redArea on fence marked in red

Hi @Abhijeet_rookie 

I definitely recommend putting in a sleeper panel at the back to prevent putting any pressure on the fence. This will also save it from timber rot and moisture. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I will buy some sleeping panel. Any specific panel that you can recommend?

I have bought Sienna sleepers for the garden beds -https://www.bunnings.com.au/200-x-50mm-2-4m-sleeper-h4-treated-pine-sienna-micropro-2-4m_p0077934

Also, I plan to stain them. Should I stain them on both the sides or just the side which will be visible ?

Hello @Abhijeet_rookie 

The 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m is perfect for your garden beds. In regards to staining them, It's ok to stain both sides, any extra protection you can provide to the sleeper will extend its service life.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Will the below sleeper be good to put on the fence to prevent putting pressure on the fence (due to garden bed) -

https://www.bunnings.com.au/150-x-25mm-2-4m-plinth-h3-treated-pine-sawn_p0120312

Also regarding the pegs, what should the distance between the two pegs for the garden beds? My garden bed will be in the form of rectangle. 12m x 16 m.

Hi @Abhijeet_rookie 

If you are referring to the 150 x 25mm 4.8m Plinth H4 Treated Pine yes, it will work for your garden bed. Please note that if you are using it as a vegetable garden bed you can only use the 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m

In regards to the Jack 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Sleeper Peg Flat Stake, I propose putting one every meter. 

Eric

Thanks Eric for your suggestions. I was finally able to complete the garden beds last weekend. Really appreciate it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects