Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's the best way to landscape back yard, and ensure sufficient drainage?

TonyClifton
Getting Established

What's the best way to landscape back yard, and ensure sufficient drainage?

I'm looking to make the back yard less ghetto, but it needs to be low-maintenance (and as inexpensive as practical). I'd like to put down pebbles in the centre area (see pic 2), and have some plants (maybe small bushes) in the raised bed areas (see first and third pics). I'm thinking I'll dig down and level the soil, compact it, put down some weed mat, then some road base/gravel (and compact that), then cover with pebbles. My concern is that the garden is enclosed on three sides by neighbours' walls, so when it rains heavily, the water pools a bit on the soil in the centre area. Given that, do you foresee a problem with putting down the gravel and pebbles, and if so, what would be a good alternative with a similar outcome? Thanks very much.Left-hand sideLeft-hand sideMiddle sectionMiddle sectionRight-hand sideRight-hand side

Re: What's the best way to to landscape back yard, and ensure sufficient drainage?

That's great to hear @TonyClifton. Please keep us updated, and as always, reach out if you have further questions.

We can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects