Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of grass and weed is this?

Garden_Rookie
Getting Established

What kind of grass and weed is this?

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well! I am new to this forum and keen on learning more about the garden from this community.

I recently moved into my property and after some rain these "weeds" started to pop up in my front lawn / back yard (refer photo).

It may seem like a simple question... but what grass type / weed am I looking at here? My Google research would indicate my lawn is Buffalo and the weed is Winter Grass. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the grass type / weed I am looking at as I will be looking for some sort of solution from Bunnings that help me manage the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Deddy

20230816_151223.jpg

20230816_151234.jpg

20230816_151245.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of grass and weed is this?

Hello @Garden_Rookie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what kind of weed you have growing in your lawn.

Looking at the blade pattern it appears to be Nutgrass. I suggest acting swiftly when you spot Nutgrass in your lawn to prevent its rapid spread, which can make removal extremely challenging. The most effective method is using a small spade to dig it out. Ensure thorough removal to prevent regrowth, as any remaining roots or bulbs will lead to its resurgence.

For significant Nutgrass infestations, resort to a targeted herbicide like Amgrow Sedgehammer. Adhere to the manufacturer's instructions. Please note that multiple applications might be necessary. Ignoring these weeds allows them to multiply and take over your lawn.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Looking for advice on controlling nutgrass and put in a raised garden bed? by @AllenV.

Please make sure to adhere to the safety rules printed at the back of the packaging and make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when using chemicals on your lawn.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What kind of grass and weed is this?

Thank you for the informative response EricL.

I will look to act quick on this one! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects