Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this weed and how to eradicate it?

susan9120
Just Starting Out

What is this weed and how to eradicate it?

Hi Guyz,

Have just moved to our new property and have noticed these popping up in our garden?

I have tried sedgehammer - thinking it was Nutsedge...but it did not work?

Would really appreciate if any one can help ID this weed and how to eradicate it i.e. any particular weed spray?

Regards

Susan

What type Please?What type Please?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with Weed ID + Eradication..

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @susan9120. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about identifying grasses.

It may be a perennial ryegrass, which would explain why the Sedgehammer didn't work, as it's ineffective against it.

Spot spraying with a Glyphosate is one of the more effective methods of removing this type of grass. Be careful not to spray the surrounding grass as it will indiscriminately kill off all types of grass. A good spray right in the middle of the tuft of grass should minimise overspray of the surrounding area. Remember your PPE when spraying, including a face mask, protective glasses and gloves.

Alternatively, you can manually remove the grass by digging it up, though this can be quite laborious.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects