Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the difference between fertiliser and compost?

Fabiano
Getting Established

What is the difference between fertiliser and compost?

What is the difference between fertiliser and compost mixes? How does one use them. Also, why are there different varieties for different plants? How would one know which one to use?

"Lastly, I have a lawn that has no edging, such as timber or blocks, on the edge. As a result, the lawn is growing into the woodchips and becoming out of control. I need to install a timber edge to prevent this from happening. What kind of tool should I use to dig or cut off the edges along the line where I need to install the timber edge?

Neo19
Making a Splash

Re: What is the difference between fertiliser and compost?

Hi Fabiano, Welcome to workshop forum!

I'm no garden wizard myself, but here's what I've learned. I'm sure our resident experts might have more tips or alternative suggestions!

Fertilizers are like plant vitamin boosts, giving them quick bursts of nutrients, while compost mixes act like natural soil food, improving long-term health and soil structure. Flowering plants might favour phosphorus, while leafy greens love extra nitrogen.

Regarding your edging (lack there-of) situation,

You’d need,

Steps

1. Define the edge: Mark your desired lawn boundary with string (spray paint works too!).
  2. Dig the trench: Use the spade to follow your marked line and create a narrow trench deep enough for your timber edging.
  3. Install the edging: Place your timber and secure it, or opt for flexible options for easier installation.
  4. Backfill and tamp: Fill the trench, tamp it down for a neat finish, and top with woodchips (if desired).

Hopefully this helps! Good luck with your project, and feel free to ask if anything else comes up.

Post some pics after you are done!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fabiano 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the difference between fertilizer and compost. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Neo19. The difference between compost and fertilizers, is that compost arises through the natural breakdown of deceased plants and animals, while fertilizers are synthetic substances, generally lacking a natural origin. Compost tends to have a modest nutrient content, whereas fertilizers boast elevated levels of essential soil nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium.

Both play a similar role in supplying nutrients to crops, yet they offer distinct advantages. Compost enhances the soil by introducing organic matter and carbon, while fertilizers can be customized to meet the specific nutrient requirements of the particular crop or grass being cultivated. When planning a garden bed, you'll need to decide what kind of plant you want to put in.

Soil composition is another important thing to consider as well, if it's too sandy, loamy or has too much clay. It will need to be modified by adding compost or other materials to prepare the soil for planting. Fertilizer on the other hand will need to be applied as the plant grows up and matures.

In regards to the garden edging, I would go with Neo19's recommendation and having a look at what is available at the store. I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to choose garden edging. If you are thinking of timber edging, I propose having a look at 100 x 16mm 4.8m Edging H4 Treated Pine Wet. A channel can easily be dug out with a shovel in the soil to plant the edging in place, or you can use garden steaks to fix the panel in place.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fabiano
Getting Established

Thanks for your response. Very clear. 

However, regarding edging, my soil is very hard. I’ve tried with a spade and it wouldn’t go down at all. I wonder if there’s a different tool you can suggest.

Fabiano
Getting Established

Thanks for a detailed response. Very clear

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Fabiano 

If your soil is very hard, I suggest using a Spear & Jackson 3.4kg Heavy Duty End Cutter Mattock. It is designed for trenching and should break up your hard soil with ease.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fabiano
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, I’ll give that ago.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects