Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is a small hanging plant that could cover my retaining wall?

ashleasmith
Growing in Experience

What is a small hanging plant that could cover my retaining wall?

 Hi everyone,

We have a retaining wall along one side of our driveway, and there is a small gap between the fence and the retaining wall.

I’m hoping to find a trailing plant that doesn’t require much room up top that might help with covering the retaining wall.

I love dichondra silver falls, but I’m not sure what their minimum planting space is?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Ash

IMG_1534.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is a small hanging plant that could cover my retaining wall?

Hi @ashleasmith,

I was thinking Dichondra 'Silver Falls' before I even got to your suggestion. It would look lovely across the space. I think it will be fine in the limited space, but even though it is suitable for full sun/partial shade I have concerns about it baking if it receives midday or early afternoon sun. The concrete wall will absorb and retain heat, radiating it back onto the plant. How exposed is the area?

Here's a helpful guide: How to grow Dichondra 'Silver Falls'.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great minds! 😂

We have a north facing home and this area does receive consistent sun throughout the day.

Can you think of any other options that might be a tad more hardy?

I am planning on planting Magnolia Little Gems in the garden beds directly in front of this wall as well, so they will provide some shading, particularly as they get bigger.

Thanks so much,

Ash

I believe the concrete wall in full sun will prove prohibitive to most trailing plants @ashleasmith. It might be best to wait until the Magnolias are established before trying to plant the area out. 

You could run a trial with a single Dichondra to see if it can survive. I just would hate for you to plant out the whole wall and then have all the plants die.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @mich1972 and @Noelle, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @ashleasmith @MitchellMc  Absolutely, definitely, Dichondra Silver Falls should grow well in this position. 🌿😊

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

@ashleasmith  As others have said I think Dichondra Silver Falls would be perfect in that spot, you could also consider planting native violet which would have a similar affect.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects