Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What hedge to plant for a shady area?

plantsANDpets
Finding My Feet

What hedge to plant for a shady area?

Hi. I have an enclosed verandah/pergola that stretches from the house to about 15cm away from our boundary fence (steel Colourbond), so there isn't a lot of sunlight along the fence line. I would like to put a hedge along the fence. Just something that's green and leafy. I'd like it to grow at least 2 meters tall

Are there any hedges you can suggest? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hedges for shady area

Hello @plantsANDpets 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about having hedges for a shady area.

In order to give our members a better idea of the area, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the fence? We'll then able to make recommendations on what would be suitable for the space that you have.

In the meantime, I recommend having a look at this guide - How to choose a hedging plant. There are some very good recommendations listed in the guide. But just to add to the choices there is also Brazilian Red Cloak, Summerscent and Strelitzia. 

Here is a link to our best advice: What plants are suitable for a hedge?

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
plantsANDpets
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply! See below for a photo of the fence area. It doesn't get a lot of sun, especially closer to the garage door.Screenshot 2023-07-08 103247.png

Hi @plantsANDpets,

Looking at your photo, it doesn't appear that your intended space lends itself very well to growing a two-metre-tall hedging plant. Given the tiled area, I presume you would be container planting these hedges? Having two-metre-high hedging plants in containers would be a bit of a stretch unless they were large containers, but add to that the 15cm worth of space you have against a metal fence that's likely to get hot makes the space really not conducive to a successful hedge. 

If you were looking for greenery, you could potentially trellis a climber over the fence (if there is enough sunlight), or alternatively, you might like to consider UN-REAL hedging. Check out this immensely popular project on Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @plantsANDpets 

Thanks for supplying a photo.  It looks like @MitchellMc is right on the money with his advice, as he always is!  If it were me, I would spread some large ornamental pots in line with the posts and fix up some trellis or wire supports between the posts.  That will create a gap between plants and the metal fence and give   you a wider selection of plants to choose from.  Your area looks well lit, which suits many plants that don'trequire full sun. Bunnings stores have an in-house horticulturalist in the Garden section, and I have always found their advice excellent! Have you considered some climbing vines or natives?  

An alternative might be to consider putting up some bamboo or brushwood screens such as 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eden-1-x-3m-brushwood-screen-fencing_p0056843

Or there is a great range of privacy screens to select from 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=garden+privacy+screens&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

Good luck! 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects