Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose soil for native plants?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to choose soil for native plants?

Hi to one and all! 

I've bought some lovely  Hardenbergia Violacea's from my local Bunnings and need to put them in a bigger pot.  As they dislike being repotted, I'm after advice on a 'forever' pot size and which soil to buy for them.  Do they need a compost as well?

Cheers 🤗

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Soils for native plants

Hi @Tyro,

Really great question! I'd love a forever pot too so I am keen to know what advice is out there. Let me tag our knowledgeable garden members @mich1972@LisasGarden, and @Grub80 to see what suggestions they would give regarding your Hardenbergia violaceus. I would also suggest giving this great Bunnings article Four steps to thriving potted plants a read for some bonus advice.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Soils for native plants

Thanks @KatieC  for waving the 'Help Needed' flag for me!  💞

Your link to growing happy plants has provided an extra bonus by leading me to a link for growing herbs indoors.  For this I am so very thankful as caterpillars invariably get to enjoy my yummy herbs  before me! 🙄😫  Indoors growing will fix those little blighters once and for all! 👏

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose soil for native plants?

Hi @Tyro 

If the Hardenbergia grows to its full estimated size, it can occupy a space of two meters high by two meters wide. However, if you are judicious with your trimming, you should be able to control its size. If I had a forever pot to sell, I would probably be a millionaire. 

But in this instance, I suggest looking for a pot that is at least two to three times larger than the current pot that you have in order to allow the roots to grow. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to know when to repot your plants.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hey there @Tyro  Hardenbergia grows and thrives better in the ground. But if you want to plant it in a pot, make sure it’s a reasonable size for plenty of root growth. 
Also make sure to use a Native planting mix which is good for pots or in the ground. Scott’s Osmocote Native Mix is great 😊 Good luck with that !!!!!!!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @EricL @

I was thinking a forever pot might be in the range of the 60cm ones!🤞😁

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thank you @mich1972 

I would love to plant in the ground but I only have a paved courtyard. 😪  If I put it in a 50 cm pot and trim regularly do you think that will keep it happy?  As well as your suggested Native Plants soil (I must have missed that when I was last at Bunnings!).

Thanks!

Grub80
Making a Splash

Hi @Tyro, great plant choice. I currently have a 4 year old buddliea growing in a ceramic pot which I hack at every year to Keep shape and bloom. The pot is 50cm tall and about 30 wide. The buddliea (oops spelling!) grows every year, blooms wonderfully. The only thing is to keep the water up. And top. Up the soil, with good native mix soil,  and suitable organic fertiliser, my preference is https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-5kg-organics-native-and-protea-plant-food_p2961713 . Good luck 👍

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Grub80 

Thank you so much for your 'recipe' for plant success!  The buddleia's are so magnificent when in full bloom - I bet your regular trims mean you have the finest looking plant in the region!   I've been pondering over the plant food for natives, so a huge thumbs up for including the link.  It's definitely on the shopping list for tomorrow's visit to my local!

And full marks to you for that magnificent cabbage (?) you are proudly showing off in your profile photo!  👏  A fantastic specimen!

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects