Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rock plant help needed

growcat
Finding My Feet

Rock plant help needed

I've got this rock plant about 10months ago and its starting to die 😢. I water it every day or 2nd day. Any tips as to how to look after it? Thank you!

20240316_193952.jpg

 2 weeks ago

20240322_145411.jpg

 today

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rock plant help needed

Hello @growcat 

Thanks for sharing your question about your rock plant. One of the probable reasons your plant is not doing so well is its either getting too much water or not enough. Have you been watering it the same way for the past 10 months? If I recall correctly these plants are very hardy and don't require a great deal of watering. 

For the moment I suggest reducing your water regimen and allowing the plant to dry up a bit. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @growcat 

I agree with Eric - reduce the watering to no more than once a week at the most over the warmer months and perhaps once every 2-3 weeks or so as the weather cools. The crevices and cracks in the rock retain moisture plus the roots are capable of absorbing moisture from the air. Mist the foliage with a liquid fertiliser occasionally to keep plants healthy.

Is it normal to have stuff growning around the rock? Should I clean it off? Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @growcat 

At the moment I suggest leaving it as is until your plant recovers. Because your plant is in recovery mode, I don't recommend cleaning the surface as it might accidentally move the roots.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects