Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden bed netting options

glnott
Just Starting Out

Raised garden bed netting options

Hi there,
I have recently established two new 320X80X42cm galvanised raised garden beds and am getting ready for planting my seedlings as soon as the September frosts finish here in Canberra. I'm looking at design options for some netting to protect from snails/slugs, birds(!) and potentially possums. I will need them to be quite high as I envisage 2 lush, healthy garden beds with a bounty of tomatoes, cucumbers and other veggies with some tall plant trainers growing along the edge (like these: Whites 150 x 60cm Grip & Grow Vegie Panel Plant Trainer - Bunnings Australia) for passionfruit and beans. I welcome any suggestions for netting both the beds to protect all my precious produce and flowers.
Happy growing and thanks in advance for any handy tips!

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Raised garden bed netting options

Hey @glnott , welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community!

I see a lot of people use the Cyclone 2mm Backyard Farmer Anti Insect Net for their gardens, might be a good option for you?

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised garden bed netting options

Hello @glnott

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about garden bed netting options.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend planting some 

20mm PVC Pipe at 2-meter lengths in each corner of your garden bed. The pipe must be buried at least 300mm into the soil to prevent it from being toppled over. I then propose using Cyclone 4m x 4m x 2mm Backyard Farmer Anti Insect Net to go over the poles and your garden bed. Tie the bottom of the net to the garden bed with either a rope or GRUNT 4mm x 5m Black Shock Cord.

I've placed a diagram below on how you can put it together, usually, the tops of this structure are joined together but I've left them free so that even in strong wind the poles will sway and not fall apart. Please note that the netting is drawn for illustration purposes only and is not in that shape when put over the poles.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects