Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of this climbing plant?

Gaby
Getting Established

How to get rid of this climbing plant?

Hello, I need some help with a plant from the neighbour. This plant is killing and suffocating my plants. I managed to rip a few off but they are sturdier. I don't know if the best option is to remove all plants. Thanks!☘️

image.jpeg

20220920_091813.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of this climbing plant?

Hello @Gaby

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about getting rid of a climbing plant.

Rescuing your current plant will depend on how entrenched the climbing plant is. If it has curled and climbed around your current plant it will be difficult to untangle the climbing plant. Unfortunately, any chemical solution we apply to get rid of the climber will affect your plant as well. I'm afraid I can only recommend physically removing the climber piece by piece using a Secateur. If you can get your family and friends to help it will make the job go a lot faster.

However, if the climbing plant is too well established and your plant has been overwhelmed, I suggest removing the whole lot and starting again. But this time try to identify the entry points in your fence line where the plants got in. I recommend trying to block those areas or modify your fence so that nothing gets through. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Eric is quite right. Since the climber comes from your neighbour's property, you are not able to tackle it at the source by cutting it off at the roots.

My opinion is that you should probably clear the entire area and start again, ensuring the offending plant cannot get through your fence. It is particularly weedy and is capable of covering large areas in next to no time, so you will need to keep on top of it if it protrudes into your property again.

Gaby
Getting Established

Thanks a lot for your help!🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects