Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Native bee and pollinator house

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Native bee and pollinator house

Have you got any Australian Native trees or shrubs growing in your garden that needs a prune ? If they are reasonably thick branches , chop up a branch , drill holes in them and make your own Native Bee and Pollinator House !! 🐝🐝 Get a terracotta pot and fill it up, pack it tight so nothing falls out. Before you do that, get yourself some Sisal and braid it. Thread it through the drainage hole to make your hanger. When you have finished it , hang under a shady tree or somewhere protected by the rain. Enjoy 🐝🐝

112610B5-5CBA-44A4-8921-FECE45A8ED6D.jpeg

51B6E1F1-5173-4B53-9534-7D73D5DCEE3A.jpeg

6BB42A43-B79C-4A73-AEC3-0849EFE8EE5A.jpeg

A98377F5-C2C6-4605-BD4B-500539653410.jpeg

Re: Native bee and pollinator house

IMG_7717.jpeg

Good morning Workshop Community Friends. Just wanted to share with you how important it is to encourage Australian Native Bees to come into your garden. I have cut down my Elderflower into segments and will be doing a special project at work making more Australian Native Bees Hotels. I like to use Elderflower branches from my garden as they are very pithy in the centre which is perfect for the bees to easily burrow in and start nesting. Old bamboo branches are also good as long as they are not treated with chemicals. Pieces of timber drilled with holes in them. Planting Australian Native plants in your garden will also attract Native Bees and provide plenty of nectar. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Your terracotta Bee B&B is always a fun and practical project to do. If I had some of these near my trees last season, I'm sure I would have had more tomatoes on my plant.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @EricL  It’s always been a popular one to do for Garden Corner and a great way to share Bee awareness !!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects