Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My Raphiolepis indica 'Snow Maiden’ needs help

andajori
Getting Established

My Raphiolepis indica 'Snow Maiden’ needs help

IMG_8629.jpeg

Back in 2000 we planted a new garden. Along the long narrow stretch of fencing, we planted Raphiolepis indica 'Snow Maiden'. 

IMG_8631.jpeg

IMG_8632.jpeg

The fence runs pretty well from north to south with the garden on the eastern side. 
The plants have been very slow growing, particularly those on the left side of the rusty panel in the photos above (see also below). 

IMG_8636.jpeg

Besides growing slowly, they get minimal flowers (doesn’t matter what time of year it is) and now the leaves are yellowing. 

IMG_8637.jpeg

IMG_8635.jpeg

During the hot summer months, we have been watering them if there hasn’t been any rain but during the winter we don’t usually water it. 
The original soil was clay so before we planted them, we broke the clay up and added gypsum plus added more soil. We have done nothing to the soil since. 
I should add that we live in the Hills District of Sydney. 

Why are the leaves yellowing?

Why doesn’t it flower well?

Why is it so slow growing (or is that normal when it is establishing?)?
What do we need to do to help our Raphiolepis?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My Raphiolepis indica 'Snow Maiden’ needs help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andajori. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Raphiolepis care.

Yellowing leaves, poor flowering, and slow growth in your Raphiolepis could stem from various factors. Since you've mentioned the clay-based soil, it rings alarm bells as Raphiolepis is tolerant of dry conditions, but well-draining soil is essential. If you've planted over a clay base then the roots are likely waterlogged and they do not grow well in these conditions. It might be worth doing a couple of test digs to see if the area closer to the road is less water-logged than the area which is struggling.

Consider applying a balanced fertiliser and aerating the soil to improve nutrient uptake and drainage, but be careful not to damage the roots. Also, check for pests and diseases and maintain the soil pH within the preferred range, which is neutral.

Here's a couple helpful guides: How to diagnose a sick plant and How to grow Indian Hawthorn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects