Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mounted planter boxes on fence

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

Mounted planter boxes on fence

IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9553.jpg

I have a tall fence that looms over my narrow couryard. I'm in the process of building some raised beds, but I also wanted a way to get some greenery going vertically, due to the small space.

So I made these small planter boxes and mounted them on the rails of my fence. I used fence palings, with wood glue and nails -  and then lined them in builder's plastic and weed-mat. They also have drainage in the bottom of them.

The 500mm one has two strawberry plants and a marigold, and the 300mm one has mint in it. I have one more 500mm one which I'm still mulling over what to put in.

Materials:

• Fence Paling (1.8m for 500mm, 1.2m for 300mm)
  • PVA/Wood glue
  • 30mm nails
  • Spray Paint in Monument
  • Weed-Mat
  • Grunt Builder's plastic
  • Galvanised brackets
  • external timber screws (for fixing to fence)
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Mounted planter boxes on fence

Hi @tal_itha. Those look terrific, and they look great mounted on the fence there. There's nothing quite like eating fresh strawberries and herbs straight from your own back yard.

Did you end up painting the fence or leave it as it was? It looks like you've painted the planter boxes the same colour. The green of the plants really pops against the Monument.

Did you make sure that there are enough drainage holes in the bottom of the boxes? If that plastic keeps them full of wet soil you could have problems. If the worst comes to the worst I suppose you could always drill some new holes up through the bottom.

I see one of your bigger planter boxes in progress in the bottom of the photo there. Please keep us updated on those too.

Brad

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

Hi @BradN . I decided against painting the fence - it seemed like a big undertaking for less payback than getting my beds built and planted! It turns out the colour isn't quite Monument - it's hard to tell from the photo, but the planter boxes (painted monument) are a bit more blue than the fence colour - but it's close enough that it doesn't bother me.

And yes, plenty of drainage holes!

Good eye, spotting my larger bed in progress - will definitely be posting about that project too.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Nice one. Have you decided what you'll be planting in the raised bed yet? Or are you keeping that a surprise for the big reveal?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tal_itha

Thank you very much for the update, those planter boxes look great. I'm sure our members are eager to see what you'll be planting in your raised garden bed as well.

We look forward to the big reveal.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @tal_itha,

Let me also congratulate you on those terrific mounted planter boxes. A neat solution to maximise space in a compact area.

How did you go with the bigger raised garden bed? We'd love to see any updates.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@tal_itha  They are sensational, I’m sure everyone would love to see how they are growing now 🪴🪴😃

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

thanks!
The bigger beds are going great - the soil level has dropped so I need to top them up, but I've got some plants that are doing really well in them.

Unfortunately my courtyard is in no state to have any pictures of it shared, but I'll be sure to post some when I get it all cleaned up for the spring/summer 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects