Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lilly Pilly Cascade - spots on leaves

RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

Lilly Pilly Cascade - spots on leaves

D7593CA1-2E43-4FA0-8491-022998AD5D68.jpeg

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help with my Lilly Polly cascades. Bought them mature size and have planted them on a raised bed. 10trees. Over a year ago.

Most have these brown spots on leaves and some trees aren’t growing as fast as others. Please see photos. 

CD949750-FF5C-4553-A09E-BE2F0F273454.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Lilly Pilly Cascade - spots on leaves

Hi @RonaldAce,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join and ask us how to help your unwell lilly pilly. Our resident DIY guru @MitchellMc will be back online Friday so let me tag a couple of our garden experts @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they have any advice on the best course of treatment. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @RonaldAce 

In my humble opinion, the spots on your lillypilly leaves look suspiciously like a fungal infection, possibly myrtle rust. This is a serious disease and can impact many members of the Myrtaceae family.

You haven't said where you live, but you should contact your State's Department of Primary Industries or equivalent as soon as possible to firstly obtain an accurate diagnosis and then what action needs to be taken. If myrtle rust is confirmed, the trees will have to be removed and disposed of according to strict guidelines.

Start with an accurate diagnosis from an expert familiar with this disease (ie Primary Industries' inspector or similar) and take it from there.

RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

Hi Noelle

Thank you for getting back to me. We are in Cudmirrah, NSW south coast.

The affected shrubs are about 1.3m tall. And haven’t matured yet.

I’ll have a look at where my closest primary industry is and hope to get a confirmation on what this could be. Let’s hope it’s not myrtle rust. (Fingers crossed)

Thank you again

Kind regards

Ron 

F133D0AA-C0BA-4B93-B020-41ABC70BE201.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the advice @Noelle

@RonaldAce please keep us updated with how you go with your lilly pillies. 

Katie

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @RonaldAce always disappointing when plants under-perform!

Myrtle rust is a very serious problem and needs to be dealt with promptly if it is the issue. For anyone not familiar with myrtle rust it can have a deadly impact any plants in the myrtle (Myrtaceae) family so that includes all of our native gum trees, lilly-pillies, bottle-brush and more.
I've attached a photo below showing it in its full-blown stage when it is starting to spore. Have you noticed anything like this?

Are the plants staying moist enough? Most lilly-pillies do like reliable moisture and don't like drying out.

AHW16152.jpg

RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

@Adam_W 

hi Adam.

Thank you for getting back to me, really appreciate it.

I did have another look to compare with the photo you sent through. And the spots on the leaves do not have bright red/yellow spores and leaves aren't turning dark green.

Do you think this could be sunburn?  (photos 2 & 3 were taken in afternoon sun, that's why they look warmer than photo 1)
(Have been trying my best to keep them moist and they do also do have a thick layer of mulch)

Kind regards
Ronald

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 9.50.32 am.jpg 

It doesn't look like sunburn to me, @RonaldAce. Typically the leaves would brown from the tip down due to heat stress.

Any luck getting a hold of someone from your state's Department of Primary Industries?

Mitchell

RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchel and Adam

I have finally heard back from " Department of Primary Industries". And they have confirmed, it is not Myrtle rust (phew) but a common native algae. I'm relieved it's not myrtle rust, as I was worried I was going have to cut them down.

They have mentioned a fertiliser might help with problem.
There are so many types of fertilisers out there, could you recommend one please?

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 3.09.06 pm.png

Hi @RonaldAce,

It's great to hear that it wasn't Myrtle rust. Always best to be on the side of caution with these types of things.

I'd recommend a Native fertiliser like Osmocote native.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects