Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lemon trees haven't grown in a year

hollydillabough
Just Starting Out

Lemon trees haven't grown in a year

Hello, I have had these lemon trees for about 1.5 years. They lost a lot of leaves about a year ago so I repotted into these larger, fibreglass planters as I thought maybe they needed more room.

The planters have good drainage holes, i water when dry (abiut twice a wrrk.over summer), and they are on a sunny north facing terrace.

The plants have continued to stagnate in these new pots. They have not grown, and in fact have fewer leaves than when I first bought them.

In researching this weekend, I realised I've never fertilized them, which I understand they need. Do you think they'll be right with a feed?

My second worry is that the premium potting soil I used doesn't have good enough drainage. These planters are large and I'm hoping I don't need to take them out to add some perlite or something as that would be a large hassle!

Thoughts? Will fertilizer be enough, or should I take them out and improve soil drainage by adding perlite?

Thanks!

20240330_185223.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lemon trees haven't grown in a year

Hi @hollydillabough,

The nutrients provided in the premium potting mix are likely exhausted after 1.5 years, so I'd certainly recommend you apply a citrus fertiliser

Provided the pots have good drainage then I think it's unlikely the premium mix is holding too much water. 

Sharing the relatively narrow pots with other plants likely isn't doing the citrus any favours. I suspect the plant on the left is likely close to being rootbound given the size of its pot mate.

Given that the pots seem to be in a relatively hot location, I suspect that watering two times a week in summer is on the low side. But you're doing the right thing by watering when the soil begins to dry out; I just wouldn't wait until it's bone dry.

Here's a helpful guide: How to plant and grow citrus in pots.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects