Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I revive my kikuyu front lawn?

Alans1
Just Starting Out

How do I revive my kikuyu front lawn?

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg Hi, my front lawn used to be green and lush, please help recommend what to do. It’s Kikuyu 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I revive my kikuyu front lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alans1. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about care for a Kikuyu lawn.

The more information you can provide our helpful members surrounding the care you provide the lawn, the better placed they'll be to help diagnose the reason for its decline. How often and for how low do you water? Is the ground compacted and hard? When was the last time you fertilised? When was the last time you saw the lawn lush and green? Have you been experiencing some cold weather in your area?

Here are a couple of helpful guides: How to care for your lawn and How to detect lawn problems. I suspect your issue could be that the lawn requires aerating, it's lacking fertilisation, or, potentially, since Kikuyu is a warm-season grass, it's begun its annual dormancy period and browned off over the cooler months a bit early.

Had the lawn gotten a bit long recently, and you cut it quite hard back down low? That's another reason for the unexpected browning of the lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey, ground seems to be hard and compacted, haven't fertlised at all since lawn was out down last year. Lawn was last lush about 6 months ago 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If that's the case, then I'd recommend aerating the lawn and applying a fertiliser @Alans1.

Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to aerate and top dress your lawn and How to use lawn fertiliser.

Let us know how you go.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects