Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

digger64
Getting Established

Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

Why is/does it seem like some sections of my pittosporum hedge (Silver fern I think) is/are dying?

Pitto 1.jpg

Pitto 2.jpgPitto 3.jpg

A T Diggines
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

Hi @digger64 

Since you have a 12-meter-long hedge, I propose dividing it into 3 sections. Each section would be in essence 4 square meters as the hedge is only 1 meter deep. Your watering can will hold 9lt of water and is estimated to cover 4 square meters, I suggest watering the first four meters with one can only.  

You'll then need to mix another batch of 9lt for the next four meters and another batch for the remaining four. Taking the advice given to you earlier in the discussion, if the soil is very damp, I suggest holding off on watering the hedge and letting it dry out first. Applying that much water might prove detrimental for your hedge. Especially if the soil is waterlogged.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

Hi @digger64 

Eric has made a suggestion of dividing the hedge into roughly three sections, each one comprising approx 4 sq metres, and applying one watering can of Powerfeed per section. This sounds like the best option, so 3 watering cans on to the bed under the outer edge of the foliage of the hedge.  If you have access to the other side of the hedge, you could repeat on it, so 6 cans in all. If the other side is not accessible, then try to cover as much of the soil in the bed and on the lawn on your side where the feeding roots will be found.

Since Powerfeed is not terribly strong, diluted as per the label and then applied generously it will not burn the roots.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects