Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

digger64
Getting Established

Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

Why is/does it seem like some sections of my pittosporum hedge (Silver fern I think) is/are dying?

Pitto 1.jpg

Pitto 2.jpgPitto 3.jpg

A T Diggines
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Is my Pittosporum hedge dying?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @digger64! We're delighted to have you join us and we look forward to assisting you with your D.I.Y. home improvement and gardening projects. 

Thanks for your question on your plant. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site tomorrow and will be happy to provide his thoughts. Also tagging our gardening experts @Noelle@mich1972 and @Adam_W for their thoughts on their meantime.

While waiting, I recommend reading Noelle's guide How to diagnose a sick plant for tips on taking care of infected plants. The Bunnings guide Planting, growing and pruning pittosporums might also come in handy.

You can also check out the following discussions in case they help: 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @digger64 Sending you a warm welcome to the Workshop Community and thank you for sharing your question about your Pittosporum hedge. 😊 Pittosporum doesn’t like to be overwatered and also under watered. But especially overwatered, the root system can rot. They prefer a deep watering as needed. I just wondering if that may be the issue. I can’t tell from the photos if it’s a fungal infection or pest infestation. I’m going to tag @Noelle into the conversation to ask her what she thinks. Also when you get a chance please have a read of the other posts that @Akanksha @has shared. 😊🪴

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @digger64 

I agree that watering /drainage is probably the most likely cause - trying to find the happy medium can be tricky sometimes depending on soil type as well as your location and climate. A deep watering maybe twice a week over summer if there's no rain is the best approach, to encourage the roots to grow down deep to find moisture. Shallow or surface watering only draws the roots to the surface where they are even more susceptible to drying out rapidly.

I would doubt it is disease- or pest-related but as @mich1972 has said, the photos are not clear enough to diagnose accurately.

At this time of the year, it would be beneficial to use a seaweed-based soil tonic and also an organic liquid fertiliser to give the plants a little more stamina to withstand summer heat and potential dryness. There are several products fitting these descriptions available in Bunnings - follow the dilution and application instructions on the label. Repeat in about 6 weeks for optimal results.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you for the fast response @Noelle ðŸ˜ƒ I agree with you as well about a good soaking of Seaweed solution 🪴

digger64
Getting Established

Hi, I'm on the, Victorian, Mornington Peninsula and we have had a particularly wet winter/spring!
What do you suggest for me to enable me to save this hedge and individual plants?
Regards, Digger

A T Diggines
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @digger64,

There's not much you can do about the weather, though installing adequate drainage can help remove excess water from the area. That becomes troublesome if you already have established plants such as these. You could look at adding draincoil in the lawn area to divert some of the subsurface water elsewhere, but it would need to be spaced at least 60cm out into the lawn so as not to disturb the plant's roots. 

The best suggestion for saving the plant is limiting the watering that you are doing to only the necessity. As mentioned, a couple of deep and long waterings twice a week should be sufficient during summer and would be the best approach. The soil needs time to dry out slightly between waterings. If it constantly remains wet, this can become a problem.

Once you are through this wet spell, your plant should recuperate and put on new growth.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi. I have some Thrive All Purpose soluble fertilizer and was wondering if this was OK to use on my Pittosporum shrubs?

Regards, Digger64

A T Diggines
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @digger64,

Our resident horticulturist @Noelle has advised above to apply a seaweed-based tonic such as Seasol 600ml Complete Garden Health Treatment and an organic fertiliser such as PowerFeed 600mL Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate.

I feel these organic products would likely be a better choice.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell & Co ( @Noelle )
Can someone please let me know just how much of the diluted PowerFeed (using a ratio of 90ml per 9lt water, as per instructions for established plants) liquid I should apply to the base of the Pittosporums Tree/Hedge (NB: approximately 6feet high) as it doesn't offer that specifically on the bottle, only suggesting that 9 litres diluted covers approx 2-4 SQM (FYI: my hedge is 12mt long  x 1mt wide and I will be using a 9lt watering can) TIA

PowerFeed Plant Food 600mL.jpgHedge, Showing signs of leave/plant issues on right hand side.Hedge, Showing signs of leave/plant issues on right hand side.

A T Diggines

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects