Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop possums eating grevillia flowers?

gene
Getting Established

How to stop possums eating grevillia flowers?

Hi I bought grevillia peaches and cream, it came out with beautiful flowers and not long after overnight the possums ate all the flowers and damaged leaves as well, I bought yates possum spray deterrent and it did not work they still ate the rest after using the spray. What is the best netting product to buy from bunnings for a grevillia 1 metre high, or is there something else I could use to protect the plant from possums?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: possums eating grevillia flowers

Hello @gene 

I'm sorry to hear that possums have attacked your Grevillia flowers. To build a quick enclosure, I suggest using Jack 90cm x 5m x 25mm x 25mm Cage Mesh. Unroll the mesh to the size that you need and cut it using side cutters. Join the ends together with cable ties. Cut another section of the mesh to create a cover and cable tie it to the round cage you've made. Use Jack Galvanised Green Synthetic Turf Pegs or similar to keep the cage from toppling over.

Another option is to use 3 Saxon 170cm Black T Steel Fence Post. Anchor them into the ground and cover it with Cyclone 2.5m x 2.5m x 5mm Backyard Farmer Anti Bird Net. Anchor the bottom of the net using Jack Anti-Bird Net Plastic Peg.

Here are some handy links that will help:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gene
Getting Established

Re: possums eating grevillia flowers

Thankyou Eric.

jenahakchew
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to stop possums eating grevillia flowers?

Hi, I had possum attack on my tomato and chilli seedlings and out of desperation rigged up a netting using nylon wire netting. Good thing the veggies were along the side of the garden with common metal fencing making it easy to put up this primitive barricade. It seems to be working for now. As you can see I've tried using night lighting with solar lamps bought from Bunnings but doesn't seem to deter them..

IMG_20231213_183552.jpg

IMG_20231213_183601.jpg

gene
Getting Established

Re: How to stop possums eating grevillia flowers?

Thankyou, I could try chicken wire too, I'd like to be able to take the enclosure off during the day and put on at night, as its night the possums do their damage. Thankyou for the idea🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects