Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal red brick pavers?

grahamd
Just Starting Out

How to seal red brick pavers?

IMG_9688.jpeg

Hi my garden has red bricks laid as pavers (picture attached). The gaps are quite wide between the bricks. I want to power wash the brick and then fill in between the brick and then apply a sealer.

can you recommend what sand to use as the fill in  what type/brand sealer would be best to use on these bricks (I was not keen on a wet look sealer) and what type of application (roll on or spray)?

thanks

graham

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to seal red brick pavers?

Hi @grahamd,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to recommend products for you. He will be back on the site later today. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal red brick pavers?

Hello @grahamd 

Thanks for sharing your question about sealing your red brick pavers. Ordinarily I would suggest using Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand. But because the gaps between your bricks are big, I'm afraid the paving sand won't work and will just ger carried away. Instead, I recommend using a traditional mix of sand and cement to fill the gaps of your bricks. 

Please be aware that using the sand and cement mix will cause a bit of staining on the corners of the bricks, especially if they are not swept away properly into the gaps. 

In regards to the sealer, I suggest using Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent. It is a natural finish penetrating sealer & water repellent provides long term water and mould repellence, allows natural substrate breathability & will not increase surface slipperiness.      

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects