Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal outdoor paving?

CassFran
Growing in Experience

How to seal outdoor paving?

Hi bunnings community!

We recently had some paving done but the sand used just hasn't set so is constantly being washed/blown up.

Is there anything we can do to stop this and seal the gaps better? Almost like an outdoor grout? 

I'm a total novice so any help is much appreciated!

Thank you

20230904_170316.jpg

1000007875.jpg

1000007874.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to seal outdoor paving?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CassFran. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of project inspiration and helpful advice from our wonderful members. We have clever and creative members sharing projects and providing assistance on the site every day.

Let me tag a few helpful members to kick off this discussion for you and see how they would tackle the problem: @Dave-1@TedBear@Yorky88 and @Adam_W.

It might also be helpful for them to know how recently the paving was completed, what pavers were used and whether you have gone back to the installers to ask their advice.

Resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @CassFran 

Mmmm I am probarly going to have to bow out on this one as I have never done pavers such as yours :smile: I have laid pavers, laid pavers on gravel and also straight on clay. The gravel between the pavers went like the sand you are describing for a little but then it locked in and I get very little loose pieces floating around my paths.

@Jason  asks some good questions that I just about re-asked you :smile: Hopefully one of the other members will be able to answer your question.

Dave

CassFran
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason!

The pavers were laid about 3/4 months ago. They're 20mm think porcelain pavers laid on a concrete slab with sand/cement bedding and dingo polymeric sand in the joints.

We have asked the contractor back a few times and he's brushed more polymeric sand in which doesn't set and just blows back up.

Thanks again!

CassFran
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CassFran,

Using an exterior grout is perfectly fine between our 20mm porcelain pavers, and I would recommend you go that route if you've experienced issues with polymetric sand. I suggest removing as much of the existing sand as possible and replacing it with Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout. Here's a helpful guide: How to grout wall tiles. That guide is on wall tiles but it's a similar approach.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

CassFran
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for your advice Mitchell!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems, @CassFran; glad I can assist. 

Please keep us updated on your project and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

CassFran
Growing in Experience

IMG-20231019-WA0002.jpg

Outcome photo! The grout worked wonders, thanks again

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @CassFran 

Wooohooo that looks great! And now I am glad I followed along :smile: Just learnt something new!

Thank you for the final pic :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects