Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make raised garden bed better for vegetables?

Maggymay
Growing in Experience

How can I make raised garden bed better for vegetables?

I am a new gardener, I have an tin garden that is high. I would like to know what soil to put in it, I am in WA where the soil is very sandy.

I want to grow more than lettuce and tomatoes,Ideally I would like to grow potatoes,carrots capsicums.

I do have some capsicums that are growing nicely, But should I stake them as we do with tomatoes.

What size stakes should I buy, and as we are in WA and it is very hot in the summer, what sort of shade cloth should i get.

I do not at this time have any photo's

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I make raised garden bed better for vegetables?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maggymay. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a raised garden bed.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to fill a raised garden bed. You might also like to have a read through this Best Advice article on How do you fill a raised garden bed? 

Typically, you'd use a quality potting mix to fill the bed to prevent it from drying out and compacting. 

Capsicums should be staked as you would a tomato plant; otherwise, they'll have a tendency to fall over under the weight of the fruit. There are many suitable stakes to select from, including these PVC-coated ones, but I'm a fan of the traditional hardwood versions. 50% shadecloth would likely do the job whilst still allowing enough sunlight through to the plant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects