Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save sick Mop top?

Natalie3
Finding My Feet

How to save sick Mop top?

As my mop tops are coming out of hibernation I have noticed that they are not happy…

The new growth is curling over and Is dying in areas. I cannot see any holes from boring caterpillars and the rest of my trees and plants are happy in the area. They are at least 4yrs old and I haven’t had a problem before. 

Any ideas with what could be happening to them? Can they be saved? 

DA8FE5FA-59FC-41CA-A1FF-4C93750E80AE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: unhappy moptop 😭

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Natalie3. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about your sick Mop top.

Could you please take a closer image of a curled leaf and perhaps unfurl a few to see if anything is inside them? Also, any other information about the area that might have changed, like your soil is water-logged, would be beneficial. Once our members have a better understanding of what might be afflicting your plant, they'll be much better placed to offer helpful suggestions. 

It sounds like you've already done a bit of investigating, and as you've mentioned, borers can cause a similar look to the tree. You might like to have a read through this discussion about Mop Top blues where our gardening expert @Noelle provides some great information.

I'll be looking forward to seeing those additional close-up images and hearing whether you find any creepy crawlies within the curled leaves.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Natalie3
Finding My Feet

image.jpg

There’s nothing living in the leaves that I can see and there’s no spots either 🤷🏽‍♀️ But we have had an unseasonably wet winter. I live in the northwest slopes and plains area (Werris creek). 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is it just this one branches new growth that is afflicted by the curling leaves or all the new growth on the tree @Natalie3?

I notice you have a fair bit of deadwood in your photos. Do you know what's going on with those branches? Did they have these curling leaves that fell off, and then the whole branch died back?

Let me mention @Adam_W and @BradN to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

It’s all the new growth and some of the branches look like they have died 😭

I wandering if their is a soil issue? Due to all the rain… 

mill pick up a soil tester kit on the way home to check 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Mop tops prefer a well-draining soil @Natalie3, so the plant won't like it if it's been particularly wet and the water is not escaping. However, I wouldn't necessarily expect only the new growth to be affected. When was the last time it rained or you watered? If it hasn't been for some time, stick your finger in the soil and check to see how wet it is. If it's still quite damp, this could be an issue.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects