Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save Robinia mop top with a cracked trunk?

shaneb
Finding My Feet

How to save Robinia mop top with a cracked trunk?

Hello. 

I posted a little while ago when my new Robina Moptops were going yellow. Turns out they needed more watering but now I’ve noticed that there are a couple of deep cracks that have opened up about half way up the trunk

Is there anything I can do for this or should I leave it alone.

Thanks

2F352BE4-7A9E-43E7-9AC4-A7798F5649DC.jpeg

71C6F8A0-17B0-4313-8E74-768BBBD8023B.jpeg

0CC399FC-3689-416C-9024-5D7840954B28.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Moptop trunk cracked. Help.

Hi @shaneb,

Were these cracks filled with a sawdust-like substance? If so, it's possible that this is borer damage. See this discussion on Sick mop top tree. This doesn't appear to be a fresh wound, so there is little that you can do to help it seal. Since the damage has been done, it might be a case of just living with it now, and over time, the tree will encapsulate the area to the best of its ability.

Let me mention the knowledgeable @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Moptop trunk cracked. Help.

Hi @shaneb 

It is either borer or disease that caused the initial injury but Mitchell's right - there's not much you can do but hope the tree itself creates scar tissue that encapsulates the wound.  However, don't be surprised if this doesn't occur and in a couple of years the tree looks the worse for wear and you'll have to take more drastic action.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects