Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive a sick Hibiscus?

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

How to revive a sick Hibiscus?

Hi all.

I have a hibiscus that I have grown from a 30cm cutting. It currently stands about 2 mtrs tall but is very devoid of leaves and flowers. There is new growth but it is very stunted. I am not sure if the soil is the best. A few weeks ago I placed some Osmocote slow release fertiliser around it so I will need to wait a while for it to take effect.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am in NW Sydney.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_20230923_162724872.jpgIMG_20230923_162734482.jpgIMG_20230923_162754298.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sick Hibiscus

Hi @SteveC,

Hibiscus require a decent amount of water but also need the soil to be free draining as they don't like constant wet feet. Water the plant for several minutes when the top 5cm of soil becomes dry. Your soil at the moment looks very dry. You might like to mulch around the base of the plant to retain moisture. Whilst we are talking about soil you could check that it's on the slightly acidic side with a soil test kit and a pH of around 6.0 to 6.5 is best. The soil doesn't currently look particularly fertile and adding some compost would solve that.

The plant likely needed some fertiliser and it's great you've added some, but it's also become quite leggy. Prune any long shoots back slightly to promote more compact growth and a denser leaf formation.

It appears that you might have some pests on the plants so keep an eye out for aphids or mealybugs. Pest Oil can be used to effectively control those.

Let me tag a couple of our gardening enthusiasts, @Noelle and @mich1972, to see if they have any thoughts.

Keep us updated on your plants progress and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Great advice from @MitchellMc !

A good prune now to encourage new growth, a program of soil improvement and regular watering should make a huge difference to your hibiscus in coming months!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @SteveC Hibiscus are funny things and @MitchellMc @Noelle have given you brilliant advice. I would definitely give yours a hard prune as that will definitely encourage new bushy growth. Also, hibiscus are heavy feeders and like a good feeding of NPK Fertiliser. Lastly they hate wet feet , over water and they rot so they need a good draining soil 😃 good luck and keep us updated. If you need any more help, shout out !!

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitch,

By pruning long shoots back do you mean all the branches highlighted and others as well? Complete cutback to the main trunks?

IMG_20230923_162724872V2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SteveC,

No, more so like the image below. 

Mitchell

p.png

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

Thanks

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

Thanks,

Is it better to use a soil test kit or PH meter?

Do I dig the compost in or just add it to the top?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Soil test kits are far more accurate @SteveC.

It's best if you can turn the compost into the top layer of soil, but try not to disturb any surface roots if you find them.

Mitchell

SteveC
Cultivating a Following

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects