Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace old dead grass with new turf?

nvdshams
Growing in Experience

How to replace old dead grass with new turf?

We bought this property in Melbourne and the lawn was a mess. Previous owners didn't care for it and it had more weeds than grass and uneven patches. It seems like whoever laid the turf didn't join the rolls together.

I went nuclear on it by applying Roundup and now everything is dead. There was also some gravel at the end of the backyard that I have removed.

Backyard dead lawn.jpg

Should I remove the existing dead grass with turf cutter or use the rotary hoe to cut the grass into small pieces and use it as compost for the new turf? Can a cultivator (Ozito cordless cultivator) or tiller be used for that purpose?

Do I need to place ag pipes for drainage or the rain water can flow under ground (apologies if I am being naive)?

Do I need to add top soil? If yes then how deep?

Lawn is 8m x 2.4m.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace old dead grass with new turf?

Hello @nvdshams

I suggest using the Ryobi One+ 18V Brushless Cordless Scarifier or similar to remove the dead turf on top. I recommend having a look at this step-by-step guide - How to lay turf. The guide will show you how to prepare your area for the laying of new turf in your backyard. Putting agi drains is only necessary if your backyard tends to flood. If however, the water drains away fast enough there will be no need to put in a drain. 

Here is an excellent turf revival project shared by our Workshop member:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects