Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove weeds in lawn?

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

How to remove weeds in lawn?

Hi Guys,

Need some advise on Lawn Care. I had few dead patches in my front yard due to Fire Ant treatment. I got a help from a guy to redo my front lawn. He dug out the old lawn, re-soiled it and put new turf on the top. 

It has been 2 weeks now, the turf is taking roots and looking good so far. However, I can see some weed or wild grass popping out at various places. Is this weed or part of grass? How and when can I treat it? 

Thank you for assistance in advance. 

1000046596.jpg

1000046595.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn Care

Hi @Sajjad,

That appears to be nutgrass and can be controlled with Amgrow Sedgehammer 25g Lawn Herbicide. It can safely be used on lawn varieties including Bent grass, Buffalo, Couch, Kikuyu, Perennial Ryegrass, Queensland Blue Couch and Tall Fescue.

Do you know what type of lawn was laid?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your suggestion. The turf is Wintergreen Couch. 

In relation to the product, how much to use as nutgrass is scattered across the lawn and product only shows 25g. Is it also safe to use on 2 weeks old turf? 

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The application rate is 1.3g / 100 square meters @Sajjad. I apologise as I've just found this warning: "Use of this product on newly seeded, sodded or sprigged turfgrass that is not well established may result in damage and/or delay establishment."

You might like to apply the Yates 200ml Zero Rapid Gel 1 Hour Action Weed Killer directly to the weed blades and refrain from spraying the Winter grass killer over the entire lawn until it after it fully established in a couple of months.

Mitchell

Sajjad
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Isn't it risky applying weed killer on blades of nut grass? 

Can I just let it grow with new lawn and use the nut grass product you suggested after 2 months time? Or would that be too late to control it? 

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sajjad 

Precise application of weed killer on nut grass leaves is about as careful as you can get. You literally paint it onto the leaves of the nut grass, and it must not be sprayed on. However, if you are still worried that it will affect your young turf, it will be an ongoing battle between you and the nut grass. To manually control the nut grass, you'll need to be very vigilant and remove any growth that will come up through your turf.    

Kepp in mind that nut grass grows very fast and can easily disguise itself in your turf. You'll only be able to recognize it when its leaves start growing longer and it makes itself easy to identify. If you go for manual control, I suggest inspecting your turf everyday once in the morning and once in the late afternoon. 

However, once the turf is fully established, you can then apply the Sedgehammer if it looks like there is still an infestation of nut grass.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety warnings suggested at the back of the packaging. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects