Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove banana tree roots?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to remove banana tree roots?

Hello WB

Our Banana tree produced many child with its sibling and I’m reviving the space so that they don’t compete within themselves for growth.

Some big Banana trees gave bananas. While clearing the trunk, not sure of the easy way to digging the root and clearing the space back to square one.

98D40891-0C8C-4CB5-9860-A1845A6AA750.jpeg

Can you please share on ways to clear the root and get more space in the Banana Zone. Are any special tools needed.

The banana tree even pushed the fence and I have another project to get the fence right.

C323350F-36B4-4FC6-9161-D258AC417C52.jpeg

Many thanks

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Revive Banana Tree Space

Hi @nagumuthu 

I'm not sure if it still safe to dig around your mature banana trees. Generally, you'll need to dig around and under the banana trees trees root ball. If the roots have fused together, you can take a chance on separating them and replanting them. However, if the tree is overstressed it could possibly die. 

Here is a handy guide about banana trees: How to grow and care for banana plants.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: How to remove banana tree roots?

Hi @nagumuthu simple fact is that banana trees need a lot of space. Even dwarf forms are quite large. The issue isn't just the size of each plant, it is how they grow.
You start with a single plant. This becomes the 'parent' plant. Around the base of this pups, new plants, will pop up. Once the parent plant produces a bunch of bananas it will die and the young pup plants will take over.

This means two thing - the clump of plants is ever expanding and unless you thin the pups out the clump will become very large with many plants.

I've a little video that explains how to divide pups safely which you might find useful.

If you do want to dig that parent plant out then you'll need to get some pups growing in pots first and you'll also need to remove the parent clump every couple of years.

The solution is to find a more appropriate spot for them.

Re: Revive Banana Tree Space

Thanks @EricL. Banana growing guide is very useful. Appreciate sharing the document.

Thanks @Adam_W for the video in splitting the plants for their good health.

Which tools have you used for removing the main root which is massive ( Once the trunk of fully grown and fruit produced plant  is trimmed off) 

From the video, I can see two tools, a Spade and a fork. I have a spade and will buy the fork, if it can remove the main root. But as you have said, it is very hard.

Any power tool will do the job for smooth removal of the main root.

Hi @nagumuthu,

I'm keen to hear @Adam_W's thoughts on tools for removing the entire root ball and starting again. However, after reading his comments, it sounds like he's suggesting you allocate a larger space to the plants. If there were more room, you won't need to remove the rootball and start each year again; the pups would simply grow where the larger plant was. Removing the rootball each year to free up soil for the new pups would be an incredible amount of work and not really feasible.

If you do want to get rid of the rootball, I suggest investing in a mattock, which will assist in breaking up and removing the rootball, as it is fantastic at digging and cutting.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

A clarification is required here for better understanding.

The root ball of the Banana plant (once produced its fruit ) is for sure to be removed. That might happen around an year time. If this understanding is correct, then every year or so, the root ball has to be removed for next planting.

Above is in contradict with the below statement in your message.

Removing the rootball each year to free up soil for the new pups would be an incredible amount of work and not really feasible’

Am I missing something here.

@nagumuthu,

I'm under the impression that the rootball is to be left in place, and next season it will produce new trunks and fruit. It's only the trunk that grew this season that needs to be cut off as it will not fruit again. The "child and siblings" are from the same rootball as the larger trunk, and when it dies off, they take over. This is a continuous process year after year. The current rootball is all of these plants and should be left in place for next season so it can grow a plant again.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc @for correcting my understanding on the function of the root ball.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects