Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to recover a dead patch of lawn?

my2108
Getting Established

How to recover a dead patch of lawn?

I just dig up a very small plant (1x1 sq.ft) which grew in the mid of my lawn. What’s the best thing I could do to recover it? Shall I buy a turf patch? Or I can simply put some soil back in and put something from the corner of my lawn?photo_2023-01-27_20-56-20.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recovering my lawn patch

Hi @my2108,

The most effective way to restore this area would be to fill the void with top dressing and then place a section of Sir Walter Buffalo turf over it. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to repair a lawn. If you have a section of lawn that you could remove some from, you could also do that.

The other alternative is to fill the void and transplant runners to the area. Runners are typically long lengths of your Buffalo lawn that seek out new areas. You'll find them trying to escape into garden beds and climb over edging. Pull up and cut off the length, and you'll notice small roots have formed along it where it was touching the soil. Bury them slightly under the top soil layers and place them in a criss-cross fashion. The runner method will take several months to fill in completely, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects