Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill new raised garden beds?

Rebecca10
Finding My Feet

How to fill new raised garden beds?

I have these new bottomless garden beds I’m putting over my existing garden bed, I’m not sure what to fill them with, two of them I will plant flowering plants and the other blueberry and blackberry plants… not sure which combo of products to use or how to fill them… soil, mulch, compost??? Which bunnings products do I get??

7E819B8B-0A84-4B3B-88C1-500D9EBA815F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised garden beds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rebecca10. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling raised garden beds.

You might like to check out this wonderful article: How to fill a raised garden bed. Also, we have a Best Advice article on How do you fill a raised garden bed, chocked full of excellent information from our members.

I suggest using a premium potting mix for your beds, and the article above will show you how to make the most of it. Pea straw mulch or sugarcane would be excellent mulches that will help your bed retain moisture whilst also adding valuable nutrients when they break down.

Please let me know if you still have questions after reading the articles.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Raised garden beds

Morning @Rebecca10  Love your Raised beds !!! I’m super excited to see what you are going to grow in them. Once you start you won’t stop 😁 it’s great to see you in the Workshop Community asking for friendly advice. Mitch has certainly given you a great start. If they were mine, I would fill them up with Edibles and flowers that are Pollinator attractors. A good blend of Companion planting. It all starts with putting the right soil in. Definitely using a premium mix and mulching on top once planted. 
Good luck with your Raised Garden beds and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what you create. Then you can enjoy growing your own Edibles 🌿😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects