Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prune camellias?

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

How to prune camellias?

Hi there garden community. I planted these Camillias a year and a half ago and they are doing well. Haven’t trimmed them much at all since planting but now that’s it’s May and they’re flowering nicely, how should I best trim them to ensure they grow into dense and bushy plants? Should I wait until spring or trim now and if so, where is best to cut?  Thanks! 

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trimmimg Camillias?

Hi @DIYKeith,

If you want to prune camellias, the best time to do it is in late winter after they have finished flowering. To make them look bushier, you can pinch back or prune the tips of the branches. This leads to a fuller, more compact growth habit by stimulating lateral branching. New growth will emerge where you prune, so make sure to cut just above a leaf node or bud. Camellias grow slowly, so avoid cutting back into old, woody growth or pruning too heavily. They may not recover well from severe pruning.

It's important to use clean, sharp pruning tools. This will help you make clean cuts and minimize the risk of disease transmission. Here's a useful guide on Growing, pruning, and caring for camellias.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to prune camellias?

Great, thanks @MitchellMc

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects