Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plan a small backyard with high retaining wall at the back?

renukumar
Just Starting Out

How to plan a small backyard with high retaining wall at the back?

I want a garden designer to guide me to plan my backyard

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to plan a small backyard with high retaining wall at the back?

Hello @renukumar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about remodelling your backyard with a high retaining wall.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area you are planning to revamp? Can you also please tell us how high do you estimate the retaining wall will be? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of your garden. we can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

One of the first stops I recommend making is your local council. I suggest checking the rules and regulations regarding the height restrictions of a retaining wall in your area. The council will probably require that you use a registered trade to build your retaining wall if it goes past a certain height. The next important thing to consider is drainage, your retaining wall will definitely have a form of drainage in it, so it's important that the water it collects has a way out of your garden.

While waiting for your photos, I suggest having a look at our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

I also recommend reading this guide - How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W. It should give you a very good idea of what to consider when planning your garden makeover.

Here are some Featured Garden projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects