Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to propagate hibiscus in the tropics?

Dawdiddles
Getting Established

How to propagate hibiscus in the tropics?

I’m new to gardening, and I have some tropical hibiscus I’d like to propagate as Christmas gifts. Many instructions suggest to cover the potted cutting in loose plastic to trap moisture, but I live in Darwin. Is this required in such humid places? 
Many instructions also recommend rooting hormones. Is Seasol an appropriate product?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Propagating hibiscus in the tropics

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dawdiddles. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about propagating Hibiscus.

That sounds like a wonderful gift idea!

Although you're in Darwin, it's quite easy for smaller pots to have the moisture sucked out of them and just because it is humid doesn't mean the water will not be removed through transpiration of the leaves or evaporation from the soil. The loose plastic helps retain moisture and prevents you from having to moisten the soil constantly. If you can ensure that the soil never dries out entirely, then you can forgo the wrap; I suspect partially enclosing them at least would be beneficial. Make sure to allow some airflow still.

Seasol is a health tonic, not a rooting hormone. I'd suggest using a product like Yates Clonex instead.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable members, @Noelle and @mich1972, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'm in complete agreement with Mitchell, @Dawdiddles .  Your location will aid in reasonably fast root production due to the warmth but keeping the cuttings moist is vital. Reducing the leaf area by trimming will help minimise transpiration but make sure you retain enough leaf area for photosynthesis to occur, to sustain each cutting while it develops new roots and leaves.

Dawdiddles
Getting Established

Thanks @Noelle and @MitchellMc ! I also have some mealymites. What’s your recommendations for them, please?

I'd suggest Yates 1L Ready to use Baythroid Advanced Garden Pest Insect Killer, a systemic insecticide that will control mealybug. It is also available as a concentrate that you can mix yourself if you have a major problem that may take some time eradicate.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects