Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare ground for raised garden beds?

NeilF
Just Starting Out

How to prepare ground for raised garden beds?

My next question is that I want to create a raised garden bed area.

It is currently just sand from our new build. What would be the best ground type for the area? Would I need to remove more sand/put weed matting down/type of final cover for area?

PXL_20240501_052444427.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ground prep for raised garden bed area

Hello @NeilF 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a raised garden bed.

Your garden bed is not dependent on the soil at the bottom of the bed but what is in the raised portion of the bed. Another critical part is drainage at the bottom of your bed. I strongly advise aerating the soil to loosen it up so that it drains freely. Leaving sand at the bottom of your bed is perfectly ok.   

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. It's an excellent example of how you can build your raised garden creatively.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds.

In regards to filling it, I recommend following the same procedure suggested in this discussion - My version of a Hugelkultur raised garden bed by @Aussie-Garden. It has excellent suggestions on how to fill a raised garden bed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects