Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make DIY concrete stepping stones?

dhoye
Just Starting Out

How to make DIY concrete stepping stones?

I want to make a small number of  irregular white concrete stepping stones. Please tell me if this is feasible?  
Dig out the shape for each stone. How deep should I go?

fill with concrete and apply texture with a sponge. What sort of concrete should I use, has to be mixed by hand?
what product should I use to get it as white as possible? 
Would I need to use reinforcement? If so what? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY concrete stepping stones

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dhoye. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating stepping stones.

You could pour the stepping stones in place, and I'd suggest you'd want them at least 50mm deep. 

A mix of white cement similar to Easy Mix 20kg White M4 Mortar would be needed. You could use grey cement if you were to mix in some Dulux Avista Oxide 1kg White Cement Colouring, though it's likely not going to come out pure white.

Depending on the size of the stepping stones, it would likely be best to add reinforcement mesh to them, as this will prevent them from cracking. If you don't have the ability to cut the solid mesh to shape, which would require an angle grinder, even adding chicken wire would help. Mixing aggregate into the cement mix would also increase the integrity of the stepping stones.

Remember your PPE when using cement, including gloves, a face mask and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make DIY concrete stepping stones?

Would you consider Bluestone rounds instead @dhoye? Here's my front yard project from a while back - they look a lot more natural now the grass has grown back all around them. 

Welcome to the community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from our wonderful members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects