Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill weeds without harming lawn?

RK07
Growing in Experience

How to kill weeds without harming lawn?

Hi Team, I'm looking for suggestions for a weed killer that can effectively eliminate weeds in our nature strip without harming the lawn.

20230913_175659.jpg20230913_175703.jpg20230913_175711.jpg20230913_175713.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weed killer in nature strip

Hello @RK07 

I suggest using a combination of manual removal and Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. Removing the large weeds by hand will provide more space for the lawn to grow back in. The Weed n Feed will then do its job and you'll just need to remove weeds once they turn brown.

Please dispose of the weeds in the bin and do not add it to your compost. Please makes sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when using the spray.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you control weeds in your garden?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to kill weeds without harming lawn?

Hi @RK07,

I would also recommend investing in an old-school hand weeder for removing weeds like dandelion. If you do a little at a time it can almost be therapeutic! 

Jason

RK07
Growing in Experience

Re: Weed killer in nature strip

Hi Eric, Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer mentions that it's specially for Buffalo grass. I think my nature strip grass is Kikuyu grass. Will it work on that?

RK07
Growing in Experience

Thank you,@JasonI have just purchased it and will give it a try this weekend :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RK07 

If you have Kikuyu grass, I suggest using the Yates 4L Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Lawn Weed Killer. This version is made for Kikuyu grass.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Just stumbled along your advise request @RK07  and wondered how you got on, I know it's been some time since you made your request but wondered what your result was and how long it took you?

I have found myself in a similar situation and truly have no idea where to start or which lawn to go with.  As there are two possibly 2-3 lawn types I can identify.

Thank you 

Old gal

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24,

Just to clarify the choices in weed killer that my colleague @EricL has mentioned, if you are unsure of the lawn type that you have, Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'N' Feed Hose On Weed Killer is effective for all lawn types including Buffalo, Yates 4L Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Lawn Weed Killer is not suitable for use on Buffalo lawns.

If you are unsure of what type of lawn you have, it is best to use a weed killer that is safe for use on Buffalo lawns.

Let me know if you would like further clarification.

Jacob

@JacobZ 

Thank you for your reply.  If there is Buffalo there, it's a small amount.  The largest amount is Kikuyu and Couch, if that's a lawn?  The bulk looks like it may have started as Couch/Bermuda, with a mix of Kikuyu and a mix of weeds, some I haven't seen before. The worst with be getting rid of the large patch of nut grass.  Now that stuff is nasty to try and be rid of. 

Sadly much of the staff at our local Bunnings store don't know much about gardening let alone weeds.  So thought I would ask in here as there are so many others with lived experiences with weeds and lawns.

Thank you for your replies @JacobZ  @Jason  @MitchellM @EricL  @Jason 

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects